FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) hair transplant technique
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) concerns the receiving of the follicular units through strip excision (single strip harvesting and stereo-microscopic dissection).
Follicular Unit Transplantation reproduces natural hair growth, as transplanted hair regrows in its natural occurring groups of 1-4 hairs. When implemented by physicians with high surgical skills & highly developed aesthetic perception, FUT (Strip) can accomplish refined & undetectable aesthetic results.
FUT (Strip) implementation has offered our hair transplant physicians a series of improvements in their hair transplant procedures:
– Painless procedure: Once anaesthetics are administered, the hair transplant procedure is painless and accompanied by a smooth post-operative course. Although in former years patients might have experienced slight pain during a hair transplant surgery, nowadays all hair transplant procedures are virtually painless. Practically, the post-operative course is also painless and any possible annoyance can be treated with common painkillers.
– Invisible scar: The refined suture technique Trichophytic Closure minimizes scarring and it is one of the most advanced suture techniques in plastic surgery. It allows hair to grow onto the scar thus camouflages its linear appearance and renders it less visible and detectable only by experts. Although there are limitations regarding its implementation (limited scalp flexibility, poor donor density), Trichophytic Closure should be performed flawlessly by plastic surgeons, otherwise it could lead to more obvious scarring than the one left with a typical strip closure. For those cases, when Trichophytic Closure is not recommended, our hair transplant surgeons are able to implement the appropriate specialized suture techniques that minimize scarring.
– Individualized Treatment: Through the evaluation of the patient΄s potential & objectives, our doctors schedule his or her Personalized Hair Transplantation Plan (PHTP), aiming at performing a hair transplantation that is highly fitted to the patient΄s profile.
– Absence of post-operative forehead swelling: Although hair transplant patients had experienced post-operative forehead swelling in previous years, nowadays we rarely observe forehead swelling and most of the times it appears due to non accurate observance of the post-operative instructions.
BERGMANN KORD΄s medical team comprises of the head hair transplant surgeon, one assistant doctor, an anaesthesiologist and 4 specialized nurses. The hair transplant procedure is performed through local anaesthesia. It lasts a few hours but time passes by quickly and pleasantly, as you can have a conversation with the medical team, watch TV or simply relax.
In a few days you will be able to return to your normal way of life and in some cases you are able to return to work even the day following your procedure.
FUT Description | Steps of Strip Method
Preparation – Anaesthesia
FUT is a virtually painless procedure and it is performed through local anaesthesia, which is firstly administered in the donor area and then in the recipient area.
Marking of the donor area
The boundaries are being set off and the donor area is being shaved.
Single Strip harvesting & care of the donor area
The hair transplant doctor extracts a strip of skin tissue from the donor area (back & sides of the scalp). The whole process is performed with care and precision in order not to harm the adjacent follicular units. The doctor΄s experience and skills are of great importance in order to achieve the smallest possible incision to the donor area.
The dimensions of the extracted strip vary, depending on the amount of the follicular units needed and the potential of the donor area (density, laxity etc.).
With the end of the single strip harvesting, the doctor implements the appropriate suturing technique (Trichophytic Closure or others). The stitches will be removed in approximately 2 weeks.
Follicular units΄ harvesting
The follicular units are then harvested from the strip through stereo-microscopic dissection. With the use of microscopes, the strip is further cut into slices which, in turn, are dissected into follicular units (groups of 1-4 hairs). The success of the dissecting process depends on the know-how, experience, accuracy & attention of the medical team. Follicular units are sensitive biological structures and particular attention is needed in order to preserve them intact and ensure their viability. It is therefore necessary to have microscopic dissection accomplished by highly skilled, trained and experienced technicians. Microscopes also allow the optimized exploitation of the strip, thus technicians are able to receive the maximum possible number of follicular units.
The extracted follicular units are then classified according to the number of hairs (1, 2, 3 or more) they are consisted of. Until the time they will be processed, follicular units are preserved in a solution at specific temperature.
Follicular units΄ preservation
The extracted follicular units are kept in physiological saline solution until the time they will be reimplanted.
Marking of the recirien area
The doctor designs the area of implantation and especially of the hairline.
Recipient sites΄ creation
By using needles, the doctor creates the recipient sites at the balding area of the scalp. Specific standards should be followed, regarding their distribution, size & direction and further attention is needed in order not to disturb the elasticity and microcirculation of the recipient area and thus ensure the proper preconditions of growth and nourishment for the implanted follicular units. In order to mimic the natural hair growth and provide maximum density, the recipient sites should be as small as possible & closely situated.
During the recipient sites΄ creation, the extracted follicular units are being processed in order to be appropriate for implanting.
Follicular units’ placement
The doctor starts placing the follicular units into the incisions with great attention. During this process, the doctor observes all the basic principles of flawless placement:
• He places the follicular units at the proper angle & direction, taking into consideration the growth conditions of the recipient area
• He aims at a natural & refined hairline by using single follicular units
• 2-hair follicular units are placed exactly behind the single follicular units and 3-hair & 4-hair follicular units are placed at the central area of the scalp (and the crown if needed)
Hairline Design & Creation
Age, facial characteristics, facial symmetry & style are parameters that are carefully assessed during the hairline design. Single follicular units are placed at the recipients sites of the hairline, in order to mimic natural hair growth. The hairline doesn΄t follow any linear model but gives the sense of being asymmetrical and incidental.
Specific skills and aesthetic perception are therefore required by the doctor for the design and creation of the hairline, in order to be as suitable as possible to the patient΄s profile.
Frontal area of the scalp (Bregmatic area)
The frontal area of the scalp contributes to achieving a refined hair transplant result and the doctor strives to achieve the highest possible level of hair density.
Crown balding is quite usual in men, with its coverage being a demanding process that requires not only adequate donor supply but also further skills by the physician.
Checking of the recipient area
After the end of the placement, the doctor ensures the proper placement.
Postoperative examination | 24h medical care
With the end of the procedure, the doctor examines the donor and the recipient area and provides you with all the necessary postoperative instructions before you return home. The next day you should have your first hair wash at our clinic. The following days you can either visit BERGMANN KORD for your daily hair wash or wash your hair at home according to the instructions.
Please note that in the days following your procedure, BERGMANN KORD will be by your side, providing you with round-the-clock medical care.
The FUT result
Since new hair will start to appear after 3 months, the patient has to wait up to 12 – 15 months for a complete FUT result.
Basic information about FUT (Strip)
• Strip hair transplant method can be implemented to men & women with Male or Female Pattern Baldness (Androgenetic Alopecia)
• Due to the fact that Strip technique allows maximum exploitation of the donor area and doctors can massively receive a sufficient number of follicular units, we are able to achieve optimized hair transplant results even with one session
• Strip is most commonly used in the later stages of baldness, where there are increased needs for coverage & density
• BERGMANN KORD doctors can implement Strip in combination with FUE method
• The cost for a Strip procedure is more affordable than a FUE procedure (assuming the same number of grafts)